Andrea Bertolini set the pace in his Maserati Quattroporte at the International Superstars Series round at Donington Park got underway with a one hour test session.
Bertolini was the only man to go under 1m35s during the session. Alberto Cerqui was his nearest challenger for Team BMW Italia, 0.598s off the Maserati’s best time. Max Pigoli was the quickest of the Mercedes in third place for the Romeo Ferraris team.
Christian Montanari was a surprise challenger towards the front, ending the session in fourth place in his RGA Motorsport BMW. After failing to start either of the races at Monza and then missing the Valencia and Portimao rounds altogther, the San Marino racer arrives in Donington off the back of a podium in the Italian championship round at Misano two weeks ago.
Fifth was Stefano Gabellini for BMW Italia, one place ahead of home favourite Johnny Herbert. Reigning champion and standings leader Thomas Biagi was seventh quickest. Francesco Sini was eighth in his Jaguar XF, with Riccardo Romagnoli and Michela Cerruti rounding out the top ten.
Test session results (top ten):
1. Andrea Bertolini (Maserati) 1:34.477
2. Alberto Cerqui (BMW) + 0.598
3. Max Pigoli (Mercedes) + 0.662
4. Christian Montanari (BMW) +0.875
5. Stefano Gabellini (BMW) +0.877
6. Johnny Herbert (Mercedes) + 0.914
7. Thomas Biagi (BMW) + 0.971
8. Francesco Sini (Jaguar) + 1.591
9. Riccardo Romagnoli (Mercedes) + 2.114
10. Michela Cerruti (Mercedes) + 2.180