Scott Pruett in the #01 Chip Racing with Felix Sabates leads the 50th running of the Rolex 24 hours of Daytona as they entre the third hour of racing.
The hour started with Alex Gurney in the #99 GAINSCO Corvette leading Oswaldo Negri Jr in the #60 Michael Shank Racing Ford. The pair battled in with Negri Jr closing before taking the lead from Gurney as the #99 hit traffic.
Behind this pair, Scott Purett made his way through the field as the #8 Starworks Ford of Enzo Potolicchio dropped back. AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson showed good pace in the #50 50+ Predator BMW before a lengthy spell in the garage which put the team 13 laps down.
Negri Jr continued to extend his lead, and just before the pitstops held a 7 second lead from Dixon with Pruett a further six tenths down the road. Negri Jr and Dixon then pitted. John Pew took to the drivers seat of the #60 while Dixon continued behind the wheel of the #02 car. Also in these pitstops, Jan Magnussen took over from Antonio Garcia in the #90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette and Sunoco Rolex 24 at Daytona Challenge winner Felipe Nasr took to the wheel of then #6 Michael Shank Racing Ford, replacing Michael McDowell.
In the GT class, the #23 Alex Job Racing of Marco Holzer held the lead at the start of the hour and lead a Porsche 1-2-3 as the #40 car of Dempsey and #87 of Maxime Soulet entered turn one backwards in separate incidents. Emmanuel Collard replaced Hozler in the #23 and he led the GT class at the 2hr mark.
Just as the pitstops finished a full course yellow was throw after the #12 car of Darryl Shoff stopped on track and needed to be recovered. Dixon in the #02 car took advantage and stopped for adjustments to the push rods on his BMW.
But as the green fell and sun sets Pruett leads with 22 hours remaining.
50th Rolex 24 at Daytona DP class standings after Hour 1
- #01 Chip Ganassi Racing – Hand/Pruett/Rahal/Rojas
- #2 Starworks Motorsport – Hunter-Reay/Mayer/Potolicchio/Valiante
- #60 Michael Shank Racing – Allmendinger/Negri/Pew/Wilson
- #90 Spirit of Daytona – Garcia/Gavin/Magnussen/Westbrook
- #9 Action Express Racing -Barbosa/Borcheller/France/Papis
50th Rolex 24 at Daytona GT class standings after Hour 1
- #23 Alex Job Racing – Collard/Holzer/Leitzinger/MacNeil
- #59 Brumos Racing – Davis/Haywood/Keen/Lieb
- #45 Flying Lizards Motorsports – Bergmeister/Long/Neiman/Rockenfeller
- #44 Magnus Racing – Lally/Lietz/Potter/Rast
- #57 Stevenson Motorsports – Bremer/Edwards/Liddell