Alonso and Bottas cleared for Malaysian GP return


Fernando Alonso will return to the cockpit of his McLaren-Honda for the Malaysian Grand Prix after being passed fit by the FIA medical delegate and the track doctor on Thursday.

Likewise, Williams Martini Racing driver Valtteri Bottas has also been given the go-ahead to race this weekend after recovering from his back injury suffered during qualifying for the season opening Australian Grand Prix.

Alonso had been forced to miss the race in Australia due to a concussion received during pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya in February, but had been working hard on his fitness, and successfully passed a series of tests at Cambridge University last Sunday before flying to Malaysia, and was finally given the green light to race by the FIA.

“In accordance with normal procedures, McLaren-Honda driver Fernando Alonso was this morning examined by the FIA medical delegate and chief medical officer at the Sepang Circuit Medical Centre,” said a statement from the FIA on Thursday.

“During the examination the driver passed all mandatory fitness tests and has thus been declared fit to race in this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix.”

Bottas suffered with back pain during qualifying in Australia, heroically finishing the session with the sixth fastest time, but was ultimately forced to withdraw from the race after being examined by the FIA medical delegate Jean-Charles Piette.

The popular Finn had travelled to Indonesia to acclimatise to the hot and humid conditions expected in Malaysia this weekend with a physiotherapist, and on his arrival at Sepang, was also given permission to race this weekend by the FIA.

“Following the injury that Valtteri sustained to his lower back during qualifying for the Australian GP, he has been with a leading physiotherapist who has been working with Valtteri and his trainer to make sure he received the best treatment possible ahead of this weekend’s race,” said a statement from Williams.

“The team has always been fully supportive of Valtteri and his determination to return to the cockpit and following final approval by the FIA medical team in Malaysia today, we are pleased to confirm that Valtteri will be back in the FW37 this weekend for the Malaysian Grand Prix.”