Heidfeld set to stay at Mahindra next season


Drivers Press Conference. Berlin e-Prix, Alexanderplatz, Germany, Europe. Friday 20 May 2016 Photo: Adam Warner / LAT / FE ref: Digital Image _L5R9115

Nick Heidfeld has revealed that he is close to resigning with Mahindra Racing for the next season of the FIA Formula E championship.

While nothing has been signed yet, the German driver said he was optimistic that a deal would be agreed that would see him drive for the Indian team for a second season.

He also said that he was optimistic for the future of the team, after they signed a technical partnership with Magneti Marelli, and managed to get both cars in the super pole shootout in Berlin.

Speaking to Motorsport.com, Heidfeld said, “I am very optimistic for season three. I have not signed yet, but there is a good chance I will continue with Mahindra, I enjoy it here. We are talking closely and I think there will be a very good drivetrain for next season.

“The big question as always is what the others are doing and their level of improvement, but I think with Magneti Marelli and the partners Mahindra has in place, it can be good. The last few races have been good but it is always the same in racing – ‘could’ve, would’ve, etc’.”

“But both Bruno [Senna] and myself were in the Super Pole top five here and at Paris I set fastest lap, so the pace is there, and as a team we are operating at a very good level.”

Despite missing a race through injury this year, Heidfeld has so far managed to outscore his teammate Bruno Senna by 21 points, sitting ninth in the championship. He also achieved the team’s first ever podium having finished third in the season opener in Beijing.

If Heidfeld is confirmed at Mahindra he will be the fifth driver staying put for next season, after Renault e.dams and Abt Schaeffler Audi announced that they would be sticking with the same line-ups for 2016/17.