Renault e.dams keep Buemi and Prost for next season


2015/2016 FIA Formula E Championship. Paris ePrix, Paris, France. Saturday 23 April 2016. Photo: Glenn Dunbar/LAT/Formula E ref: Digital Image _W2Q2157

Renault e.dams have confirmed that they are fielding an unchanged line-up for the 2016/17 FIA Formula E season.

Current drivers Sebastien Buemi and Nico Prost will continue to partner each other for a third consecutive season at the team, having achieved six ePrix victories between them so far.

Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s Berlin ePrix, Senior Team Manager Alain Prost said, “There are some decisions that are hard to make and others that are logical, and this is definitely the latter. Seb has shown his speed time and time again with two wins so far this year and is fighting for the championship for the second season in a row.

“Nico has demonstrated consistency and has achieved a string of strong results. We can build on this and look forward to a solid end to the year and an even more successful third season together.”

Sitting just eleven points off the lead of the drivers’ championship, Buemi said that the announcement would help him in his title fight. He said, “Knowing I will be in the Renault e.dams car next year is a definite boost at this point in the year. I’m totally focussed on winning the title this season and knowing that I will be around to potentially defend it is very motivating.”

“We’ve got a good thing going: the team has gelled well together, we have strong solid support from Renault and Nico and I are very complementary. Keeping this going as the championship grows is a real positive for the team.”

While Buemi has been challenging for the title in both Formula E seasons so far, his teammate Nico Prost has failed to keep up with him, with the Frenchman currently sitting 65 points behind Buemi in the championship. Despite this, the other Senior Team Manager at Renault, Jean-Paul Driot, described the pair as “the best pairing in the series”.

Prost himself said, “Renault e.dams is definitely amongst the top Formula E teams, no question. The technical commitment from Renault e.dams works extremely well and we have one of the quickest cars in the field, if not the quickest. I’m sure we will carry the momentum forward into the next season so I’m really pleased to be able to continue with the team for a third year.”

The Renault announcement comes after Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport announced that they would be retaining Lucas di Grassi and Daniel Abt for next season.