Pirelli Prototype Tyre design abandoned until 2017


Jolyon Palmer running the Prototype tyre in Belgium - Credit: Octane Photographic Ltd

Pirelli have decided to abandon its plan to introduce a new prototype tyre compound this season after mixed results during the testing phase of the tyre from the teams that ran with the tyre at Spa-Francorchamps and Monza.

Pirelli racing manager Mario Isola has revealed that some teams complained about the prototype compound, citing a lack of grip, and as a result it was decided that further tests needed to be carried out and as such the compound will no longer be introduced this year.

“We have analysed all the datas and unfortunately we have some inconsistency across the teams,” said Isola on Friday.

“The feedback was not the same for all the teams so we have decided to keep the current specification until the end of the year. I want to reiterate the fact that the current specification is safe.”

The Italian tyre manufacturer had been set to introduce the tyre at the next event in Malaysia but have decided to postpone its introduction until 2017, with further tests planned with the compound to come when it integrates the prototype into its 2017 testing schedule.

“We feel this concept in the prototype is something we have to consider for 2017 tyres,” said Isola. “It’s not abandoned. We will test this idea in 2017 prototype with the big size with the new cars.

“We need to investigate as we have all the telemetry data from the teams and the feedback from the drivers. In some cases, you know the tyres were not tested properly as it was not a back-to-back between the current specification of the soft and the prototype.

“We want to have a proper test and it will happen with 2017 tyres, comparing the base against the prototype, in the same conditions, on the track, for the same number of laps, on the same fuel loads and with the same set-up. This is a proper comparison where we can understand the performance of the tyre.”