Rally Liepaja Gets Three Year Contract Extension


The next round of the 2016 FIA European Rally Championship, Rally Liepaja,  has been given a massive boost ahead of this year’s running of the event as it has been announced that it will be included on the ERC calendar until at least 2019. ERC promoter Eurosport Events and Rally Liepāja organiser RA Events agreed on a three year extension to event’s current deal.

“We’re delighted to confirm the extension of our contract with Rally Liepāja for a further three years,” said ERC General Co-ordinator Jean-Baptiste Ley. “It has brought a unique dimension to the FIA European Rally Championship since joining as a snow rally, and we are sure that it will be just as spectacular when it runs as a gravel rally next month.” The Latvian based rally was due to kick off the season back in February but unseasonable weather forced it to be postponed and it will now be run as a gavel event.

RA Events Director Raimonds Strokšs said: “I am extremely grateful to say that our hard work as a team has been highly valued and appreciated, and that Latvia has been given an opportunity to keep an event in the European Rally Championship calendar. It is also important to mention that the Latvian round will take place on gravel, giving us an opportunity to use unique solutions in organising the rally, therefore providing a completely new experience for the spectators who will come out to watch the powerful R5 class cars in action.”

The rally will begin on September 16 and will count as the penultimate round of the series. Last year’s event was won by Craig Breen.