Following the announcement that the Bahrain International Circuit will not host the opening round of the Formula 1 season, GP2 Series organisers have confirmed that Bahrain has been removed from the 2011 GP2 Asia Series season.
The circuit at Sakhir was due to host the second and third rounds of the three round series. The second was cancelled at short notice last week, while the third round was due to support the Bahrain Grand Prix on March 12-13.
GP2 Series CEO Bruno Michel commented: “We are very sad to see Bahrain removed from this season's calendar. It is always a great pleasure to go there where we have been cordially welcomed with professionalism since 2005. We are looking forward to going back there soon.”
The GP2 teams and drivers are now uncertain about what will happen to the current Asia Series season, as the statement did not suggest whether a replacement round will be found or whether the season will end after just one round, which was held at Abu Dhabi earlier this month. Jules Bianchi leads the standings after winning the opening race.
Super Nova driver Johnny Cecotto commented on Twitter following the cancellation of the Grand Prix. “We do not know what will happen to GP2 Asia. The team expects a response from the organisers,” he said.
Addax driver Giedo van der Garde added: “Bahrain is off. Will wait and see what is next. Hope we race somewhere else.”
On its Twitter page, the Carlin team said: “Sad that we won’t be going to Bahrain, but clearly there are bigger issues at stake than motor racing. Hope there is a peaceful resolution.”