Juncos Racing has announced today that Kyle Kaiser will race for the team in the second round of the upcoming 2019 NTT IndyCar Series, which will be held at the Circuit of the Americas. The American, who drove for the team part-time in 2018, has only been confirmed for the one race so far, but the possibility is there for further outings later in the season.
Kaiser will get back behind the wheel of the #32 Juncos Chevrolet in today’s first day of IndyCar pre-season testing, which is also taking place at COTA. Previously, Kaiser had been back out on the track with the team at a private test at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca last week.
Kaiser will reunite with sponsor NFP, an insurance broker, for his return at COTA in March. The twenty-two-year-old said following today’s announcement that he was “excited” to be returning with Juncos and “thrilled” to be bringing NFP with him.
“I am excited to be back in an Indy car for the 2019 season with Juncos Racing at COTA,” Kaiser said. “I’m thrilled to have NFP partner with us for this incredible race. I was privileged to get to represent NFP in the Indy 500 last year and had the chance to get to know many of the world-class people working there. Their ambition in the business world is a perfect fit for Juncos’ ambition and drive in racing.”
Kaiser made his IndyCar debut for Juncos last season after graduating from the Indy Lights championship; which he won in 2017. Kyle raced in four events in the first half of the season, taking a best finish of sixteenth place in his second race at Long Beach.
Kyle’s most recent outing came in last year’s Indianapolis 500, where Kyle qualified in a respectable seventeenth place before sadly being forced into retirement by a mechanical failure.
Juncos’ team owner, Ricardo Juncos, said today that he was happy to be welcoming back Kaiser to the team. He also went on to state that he was “excited” to be working with NFP as a sponsor once more.
“We are humbled and excited to continue our partnership with a prestigious and passionate business like NFP,” Juncos said. “Last year we had the privilege to create a relationship with NFP, and since May have continued to build and explore opportunities among our motorsport programs. The partnership is an excellent opportunity to expose our team, NFP’s partners, employees and producers, and the NTT IndyCar Series to a wider audience.”
Juncos have previously stated that they will be running with two cars in the upcoming 2019 season. With Kaiser being confirmed as a part-time entrant in the #32 car, it remains to be seen as to whether the second car will also be a part-time entry or whether the team can put together a full-time entry for another driver.
Candidates for the second seat could come in the form of Rene Binder and Alfonso Celis Jr, both of whom drove for the team in select races last year. Another potential option could be reigning Indy Lights champion Patricio O’Ward, who is understood to be frantically searching for a seat following his sudden split from Harding Steinbrenner Racing.
Pre-season testing for the 2019 NTT IndyCar Series has begun today at the Circuit of the Americas and will continue tomorrow. Both days of testing will be live-streamed on IndyCar’s social media channels.
The 2019 NTT IndyCar Series will kick-off with the season-opening Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on Sunday, March 10.