The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course has been postponed from its scheduled 07-09 August date to a yet to be determined date sometime in September or October due to COVID-19 concerns.
Last week the event was made a double header due to the cancellations of the Grand Prix of Portland and Grand Prix of Monterey, as IndyCar continues to try and maintain a 14 race schedule.
“IndyCar and Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course have agreed to postpone The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio scheduled for Aug. 7-9 until a date to be determined in September or October,” Mid-Ohio officials said in a statement.
“This decision was made through communication with local health officials given the current environment.”
“Our team continues to work with all of our partners and our local government to identify a date later this year when we can host The Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio.” Mid-Ohio officials said in a statement.
“We appreciate the patience and understanding of our fans as we navigate this postponement.”
This would put the Indianapolis 500 next on the calendar, set to be run on 23 August. Qualifying will take place the week before on 15-16 August.
There have been over 4.5 million total confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the outbreak and it is responsible for over 150,000 deaths in the United States, the most in both categories worldwide. The state of Ohio has seen cases more than quadruple since 01 June, going from just over 16,000 cases to over 66,000 in two months.