A full course yellow welcomed in the twelfth hour as the #51 Audi was recovered from the track; leading the way on the restart was the #8 Starworks Motorsport Ford of Allan McNish, followed by #5 David Donohue and #6 GustavoYacaman. The #59 of Marc Lieb led the #23 of Butch Leitzinger and the #44 of Andrew Lally in the GT class.
A slide wide on the infield section from McNish in the #8 would close the leaders up as he was forced to go defensive to maintain the lead; AJ Allmendinger moved up a place a lap later after chasing down Scott Dixon.
Fifteen minutes in to the session Dixon dropped off the radar and disappeared from the track and in to the garage with a broken gear shift linkage. After a short period of time the repaired #02 would return to track in ninth place and 3 laps down to the leader.
Making the move around the outside of turn 1 Allmendinger took the top spot from McNish and powered away 25 minutes in to the hour. With more traffic ahead the lead wouldn't last long for Allmendinger as McNish fought his way through and back in front.
There was problems in the pitlane as the #76 Khron Racing Ford missed the gap to go through to the garages, momentarily stranded as officials decided if they should let the car through a gap for the winners circle.
The second and fourth placed cars of AJ Allmendinger and David Donohue came in for scheduled stops moving Graham Rahal in the #01 Ganassi car up to second place. McNish would come in on the next lap followed by Rahal.
The #90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette piloted by Richard Westbrook would enter the garage with suspected engine problems just 5 minutes short of the halfway mark.
Marc Lieb continued to forge ahead in the GT class in the #59 Brumos Racing Porsche before team mate Andrew Davis took over the driving duties just before the end of the hour. The #44 Magnus Racing Porsche GT3 slotted back in to second place at the hands of John Potter. Spencer Pumpley in the #67 TRG Porsche would round out the hour third in class.
50th Rolex 24 at Daytona DP class standings after Hour 12
1. #8 Starworks Motorsport – Dalziel/Luhr/McNish/Popow/Potolicchio
2. #60 Michael Shank Racing – Allmendinger/Negri/Pew/Wilson
3. #01 Chip Ganassi Racing – Hand/Pruett/Rahal/Rojas
4. #5 Action Express Racing – Donohue/Fittipaldi/Law
5. #6 Michael Shank Racing – Goncalvez, McDowell/ Nasr/Yacaman
50th Rolex 24 at Daytona GT class standings after Hour 12
1. #59 Brumos Racing – Davis/Haywood/Keen/Lieb
2. #44 Magnus Racing – Lally/Lietz/Potter/Rast
3. #67 TRG – Bertheau/Bleekemolen/Goossens/Henzler/Pumpelly
4. #57 Stevenson Motorsports – Bremer/Edwards/Liddell
5. #23 Alex Job Racing – Collard/Holzer/Leitzinger/MacNeil