Hour 16 was all about the GT class with an epic battle between reigning Supercup champion Rene Rast and Marc Lieb.
The first 15 minutes of the hour saw a further full yellow flag period as the #99 GAINSCO car was recovered from the infield after burying itself in the barriers. During the caution period the teams took the chance to pit while Felipe Nasr grabbed the opportunity to unlap himself and bring him closer to the top 3 battle.
Rast lead the GT class comfortably but Lieb wasn't about to let things stay that way as he reeled in the #44 Porsche. While he had the pace through the bus stop section of the circuit he couldn’t quite get close enough to pull off a pass despite pulling alongside Rast a number of times. The battle would come to an end when Lieb outbraked himself in to the bus-stop while trying to pass lapped traffic. This gave Rast the opportunity to build his lead again as Lieb was forced to come to a halt as the penalty of skipping part of the circuit.
Up front the the #60 of Justin Wilson found a way around #8 Ryan Dalziel to take the lead of the race with Graham Rahal close in tow. #6 Felipe Nasr would lose his advantage gained during the caution period but remain in fourth place.
At the end of the sixteenth hour both classes have a top three field that are all on the same lap and with eight hours to go it's hard to call a winner at this stage, all three cars at the front of the DP class came in for pit stops before the hour was out.
50th Rolex 24 at Daytona DP class standings after Hour 16
1. #60 Michael Shank Racing – Allmendinger/Negri/Pew/Wilson
2. #8 Starworks Motorsport – Dalziel/Luhr/McNish/Popow/Potolicchio
3. #01 Chip Ganassi Racing – Hand/Pruett/Rahal/Rojas
4. #6 Michael Shank Racing – Goncalvez, McDowell/ Nasr/Yacaman
5. #5 Action Express Racing – Donohue/Fittipaldi/Law
50th Rolex 24 at Daytona GT class standings after Hour 16
1. #44 Magnus Racing – Lally/Lietz/Potter/Rast
2. #59 Brumos Racing – Davis/Haywood/Keen/Lieb
3. #67 TRG – Bertheau/Bleekemolen/Goossens/Henzler/Pumpelly
4. #57 Stevenson Motorsports – Bremer/Edwards/Liddell
5. #63 Risi Competizione – Bruni/Fisichella/Matos