Ross Gunn claimed his maiden car-racing win in the final BRDC Formula 4 Championship race of the weekend at Oulton Park.
Charlie Robertson initially led the race from pole position and the HHC Motorsport driver held station at the front until lap eight. An unfortunate mistake saw him run wide at Knickerbrook, handing the position to Gunn, with just 0.2s covering the front three of Gunn, Robertson and Jake Hughes as they crossed the line as the start of lap nine.
Hughes then found his way past Robertson at Hislops chicane on lap 10 to move into second, and the Lanan Racing driver then turned his attentions to Gunn. Despite his best efforts, Gunn was able to hold on and take victory by just under four tenths of a second.
“This feels unbelievable to be honest,” said Gunn. “The car was just fantastic and the team have done a great job all weekend and I felt good today. It hasn’t sunk in yet, it feels just like a dream come true!”
Jack Barlow completed a successful weekend in fourth, with his Sean Walkinshaw Racing team-mate Matthew Graham close behind in sixth behind Raoul Hyman. Hillspeed’s Seb Morris took seventh, with a long queue of cars behind him, one of the closest races of the year seeing just three seconds cover the cars in seventh to fifteenth.
James Fletcher headed the queue of cars, salvaging eighth from a difficult weekend, while Jake Dalton retained his championship lead with ninth after of Gustavo Lima.
2013 BRDC Formula 4 Championship Round twelve result:
1. Ross Gunn, Motionsport, 12 laps
2. Jake Hughes, Lanan Racing, +0.387s
3. Charlie Robertson, HHC Motorsport, +2.484s
4. Jack Barlow, Sean Walkinshaw Racing, +9.263s
5. Raoul Hyman, HHC Motorsport, +9.456s
6. Matthew Graham, Sean Walkinshaw Racing, +9.984s
7. Seb Morris, Hillspeed, +22.822s
8. James Fletcher, Team KBS, +22.895s
9. Jake Dalton, MGR Motorsport, +23.271s
10. Gustavo Lima, HHC Motorsport, +23.512s