Alex Lynn has clinched the 2014 GP3 championship after title rival Dean Stoneman failed to take pole position and get the points he needed to keep his slim hopes alive.
Stoneman had been fighting hard to take pole and on his penultimate attempt he went up to P2 after being held up by rookie Ling Kang. On his final attempt Stoneman went purple in the first sector but got caught in yellow flags in the second sector meaning he could only manage 2nd on the grid.
This handed Red Bull backed Lynn the championship with two races left. Lynn ran fourth for the majority of the session and never looked like troubling the leaders, qualifying 0.566s behind pole sitter Marvin Kirchhofer.
After taking the four points for pole Kirchhofer could still finish level on points with Lynn in the championship but the Brit would still win due to count back of best results.
The session had a quiet start, with only a handful of drivers posting laps within the first ten minutes.
Kirchhofer and Stoneman set the early pace trading fastest laps with half the session gone. Kirchhofer struck first before he was overhauled by Stoneman who was desperately trying to take pole position. Kirchhofer though hit back again to go 0.06s faster than the Brit.
With eleven minutes to go most of the cars returned to the pits to fit new tyres and prepare for their final runs.
Dino Zamparelli and Emil Bernstoff both held pole position before Kirchhofer reclaimed provisional pole by going half a second clear.
Jimmy Eriksson took 6th place on the grid for Koiranen GP. Alex Fontana, Patric Niederhauser, Nick Yelloly and Richie Stanaway rounded out the top 10.
Race one starts tomorrow at 8:05 and is live on Sky Sports F1.
1. Marvin Kirchhöfer ART Grand Prix 1:55.163s (12 laps)
2. Dean Stoneman Koiranen GP 1:55.634s + 0.471s (11 laps)
3. Emil Bernstorff Carlin 1:55.664s +0.501s (12 laps)
4. Alex Lynn Carlin 1:55.729s +0.566s (11 laps)
5. Dino Zamparelli ART Grand Prix 1:55.819s + 0.656s (12 laps)
6. Jimmy Eriksson Koiranen GP 1:55.863s + 0.700s (12 laps)
7. Alex Fontana ART Grand Prix 1:55.900s + 0.737s (12 laps)
8. Patric Niederhauser Arden International 1:55.995s + 0.832s (12 laps)
9. Nick Yelloly Status Grand Prix 1:56.038s + 0.875s (12 laps)
10. Richie Stanaway Status Grand Prix 1:56.113s + 0.950s (13 laps)
11. Kevin Ceccon Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.145s + 0.982s (11 laps)
12. Patrick Kujala Trident 1:56.199s + 1.036s (10 laps)
13. Jann Mardenborough Arden International 1:56.291s + 1.128s (12 laps)
14. Santiago Urrutia Koiranen GP 1:56.443s + 1.280s (13 laps)
15. Matheo Tuscher Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.498s + 1.335s (11 laps)
16. Robert Visoiu Arden International 1:56.501s + 1.338s (11 laps)
17. Pal Varhaug Jenzer Motorsport 1:56.530s + 1.367s (10 laps)
18. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 1:56.873s + 1.710s (10 laps)
19. Riccardo Agostini Hilmer Motorsport 1:56.941s + 1.778s (10 laps)
20. Nelson Mason Hilmer Motorsport 1:56.959s + 1.796s (13 laps)
21. Alfonso Celis Jr Status Grand Prix 1:57.577s + 2.414s (12 laps)
22. Ryan Cullen Trident 1:57.697s + 2.534s (12 laps)
23. Ling Kang Trident 1:58.816s + 3.653s (12 laps)