There’s a new movement in motor sport led by Robby Gordon as he brings together some of the best elements of racing and then goes crazy by putting ramps on the track – Stadium SUPER Trucks.
The series was influenced by the former Mickey Thompson Stadium Off-Road Racing Series, where driver’s such as Gordon, Casey Mears and six-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson got their start.
Stadium SUPER Trucks are built by SPEED Energy Formula Off-Road Presented by Traxxas in Charlotte, North Carolina with each truck costing just over £200,000 ($300,000) each.
While the trucks may look simple they all include a few special design features:
- Independent Dual Arm Wish Bone Suspension
- Four-Wheel Disc Brakes
- Adjustable front to rear brake bias
The trucks also feature a rear turning brake which with the front wheel steering provide assistance to rotate the rear of the vehicle.
Here’s a few more stats on the trucks:
- Gears: 3-speed transmission
- Miles per gallon: 4
- Fuel type: Premium Unleaded Gasoline
- Horsepower: 650 hp
- Speed (max.): about 140 mph
- Loudness (decibels): 104 db
- Total height: 5 feet 2 inches
- Weight: 2900
- Total length: 13 feet 5 inches
- Width: 5 feet 9 inches
To keep the costs down there are no special tyres in the series and each SST uses Toyo DOT Production tires which have a 35 inch diameter at a cost of £265 ($400) each and last 4-5 races.
With all the bumps and jumps the SST features a pretty hefty suspension – 18” Dual A Arm Dual Coil Over Rear 4-Link w/26” of suspension travel.
Some series feature jumps, SST features JUMPS, check out the stats…
- Speed on ramp: 50-70 mph
- Launch velocity: 70 mph
- Ramp distance: 17 feet 6 inches
- Ramp height (at takeoff point): 2 feet 8 inches
- Speed in air: 50-70 mph
- Peak altitude: 15-20 feet
- Jump distance: 125-160 feet
- Jump distance recorded record: 160 feet, Robby Gordon
- Impact velocity: 50-60 mph
- Landing Surface: Can land on flat ground or with an elevated landing ramp
Still not convinced? Check out this video from Long Beach last season…
theCheckeredFlag.co.uk will be covering each race of the 2015 season along with interviews with participating drivers, first up is and exclusive interview with series creator and two time SST champion Robby Gordon, keep a look out on site tomorrow.