Dan Ticktum Banned From Motorsport Competition For Two Years


Former MSA Formula competitor Dan Ticktum has been given a two year racing ban by the the Motor Sports Association, following his controversial incident at Silverstone that the UK governing body called a “disturbing and dangerous episode.”

The incident occurred on September 27, in the final race of the Silverstone weekend. With the championship still an option Ticktum needed a good result to stay in contention, but was hit by Ricky Collard on the first lap as the cars headed into Brooklands.

A chain reaction behind, eventually saw the safety car brought out to remove the stricken cars. Collard and Ticktum both continued, albeit with the Fortec Motorsports driver at the back of the grid.

The report found that Ticktum ignored 13 yellow flags, four double-yellow flags, two white flags and 15 safety-car boards to overtake 10 cars and catch back up to his rival during the safety-car period, before making contact.

Court Chairman Guy Spillon said the incident was “totally irresponsible and reprehensible in the extreme”.

The ban, which is in effect from the day of the crash, will last until 27th September 2016, with the second year of the ban being suspended for twelve months “on the condition there are no further offences.”

While Ticktum can not compete in races, the ban does not stop him from testing machinery. He will have to retake his ARDS test, and has been forced to pay £2000 for the cost of the hearing.

Speaking after the Silverstone weekend he previously told Autosport: “Not only have I let myself down but more importantly I have let down so many people that are close to me too.

“I want to apologise to my fellow drivers all those people who have supported me in the motor racing community. I also want to apologise to all the marshals and MSA officials at Silverstone this weekend.

“I have been a fool and I intend to learn the important lessons I need to from this weekend.”

Read our full 2015 MSA Formula season review here.