Goddard takes Maiden Victory after Spectacular Final Lap

It proved to a memorable maiden F4 British Championship win for Australian Zane Goddard. The Double R Racing driver made a clean start and broke away from the opposition, maintaining his advantage after a late safety car period eradicated his lead.

Away from the grid, Goddard made a good start, maintaining his lead into the first turn as Devlin DeFrancesco fed in behind him to continue their battle from qualifying.

Further back, a few of the competitors bumped wheels as it proved to be disastrous for Petru Florescu who found himself out of the race on the opening lap. With the championship leader out, the remainder of the field vied for an important result battling over the final podium position.

The field soon settled into an order, with Goddard and DeFrancesco using the opportunity to break away from third place Luis Leeds. The TRS Arden driver was unable to do anything about the top two as he held off the other Carlin of Max Fewtrell in the early stages.

Drama behind saw James Pull launched onto the grass dropping to the back of the grid, he continued but was unable to keep pace with the front-runners.

As the race entered its final stages, Jack Butel and Nicolai Kjaergaard came together stalling their cars as they fought over tenth place. The safety car was called which proved to be bad news for Goddard who lost his dominant three second lead.

With one lap left to race, the safety car pulled into the pits. Race leader Goddard ran wide allowing DeFrancesco alongside. The Australian was determined not to have a repeat of Oulton Park, applying the brakes extremely late into Hawthorns, barely making the corner.

This saw DeFrancesco edged off the track eventually dropping to fourth as Leeds took the initiative. Fewtrell soon followed him through denying the Canadian a podium place. Jamie Caroline and Pull made the most of a hectic final lap jumping to fifth and eighth respectively. They were split by the Arden’s of Rafa Martins and Jack Martin.

The final lap did have one casualty though. Despite running fifth before the safety car, Alex Quinn was soon thrown into retirement eventually leaving his car stranded at Barcroft.