New River II Final cancelled due to weather

Red Bull Global Rallycross has taken the decision to cancel the MCAS New River II Supercar and Lites finals after inclement weather posed safety fears.

The first Supercar final of the weekend came after rain delays and the wet conditions provided one of the most thrilling races of the year as Scott Speed took the victory after a dramatic last lap pass on Brian Deegan.

However, today the conditions were too severe for the final to take place. The Last Chance Qualifier that was set to precede it was also called off.

“The main reason for us to make a decision like this is one hundred per cent safety. The safety concerns for the drivers and for our safety crew and everybody else involved out there on the race track,” said Joey Mancari, Red Bull GRC Vice President and Director of Competition. “We just can’t continue today because we couldn’t put everybody on a safe race track.”

“We really pride ourselves on having some of the greatest safety efforts in all of racing,” he added. “We carry our own safety crew with us and we’re really proud of that and we want to continue on with those efforts and not put ourselves in a bad way.”

“It’s a bummer, we’re here to race” added Chip Ganassi Racing driver Steve Arpin. “We have such an incredible crowd here at the military base but there is honestly no other choice that we could have made.”

“We got dumped on so hard over the last hour that there’s no way we can actually go out there and be in control of these cars,” he continued. “We’ve got cement walls, we’ve got all sorts of issues that would tear up so much equipment and honestly, one of the biggest things is if we crash, we can’t see the guys ahead of us.”

“They made the right call, there’s nothing else we could have done and we’ll figure out how to make it up to the fans.”

Red Bull GRC have yet to announce whether the final will be completed at a later date.