Robertson Tops Red Flag Plagued Supercup Qualifying

Charlie Robertson tamed the treacherous wet conditions at Oulton Park to top the timesheets in the Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup qualifying at Oulton Park, a session cut short by a second red flag.

Robertson and championship leader Andrew Watson were the early pace-setters in the Cheshire rain, though as the conditions worsened Watson was caught out, going off at Old Hall and bringing the first red flag stoppage.

As the session restarted with eight minutes to go, Carl Breeze briefly dived to the top of the times before Robertson stormed back. His lap of 1m 54.779s put him over eight tenths of a second ahead as the red flag appeared for a second time.

This time it was the turn of Luke Davenport to end his session in the Old Hall barriers after hitting standing water under braking, and with heavy damage to the tyre barrier and his United Autosports Ginetta, the decision was made to bring out the chequered flag.

This gave Robertson his third consecutive Supercup pole position by 0.805 seconds with a 1m 54.779s lap, with Jamie Orton to join him on the front-row in this afternoon’s opening race after posting his best lap just before the red flag.

Breeze secured his best qualifying performance of the season so far with third, while Tom Oliphant completed a great session for the Century Motorsport team in fourth, though it could have been better after posting the best first sector time of all on a lap cut short by the red flag.

Just a narrow 0.077 seconds behind Oliphant was David Pittard, the double Thruxton race-winner set to be joined on row three by Watson, who slipped down to sixth as the session progressed.

Will Burns was the top Academy Motorsport entrant in seventh ahead of fellow Ginetta GT5 Challenge graduate Davenport and team-mate Sean Huyton. Dan Norris-Jones completed the top ten, with Pepe Massot and Reece Somerfield will share row six after neither set a competitive lap time.

Full qualifying results can be found here: