Phil Keen ends frantic session fastest in British GT FP2

Phil Keen’s Barwell Motorsport Lamborghini Huracan GT3 topped a frantic Free Practice Two in the British GT Championship at Oulton Park which was interrupted by two red flag periods.

At the start of the 50 minute session, Seb Morris picked up where he left off in FP1 putting the big Bentley on top of the time sheets with a 1:35.291 to put down a good marker for the rest of the field to aim at. However, that time would stand for quite some time as teams started to focus on their Am drivers in preparation for qualifying later on today.

In GT4, Scott Malvern set the pace in the Simpson Motorsport Ginetta G55 GT4 with Mike Robinson nipping at his heels in the PMW World Expo Racing Ginetta.

Just as the field started to build up a head of steam, there was a short red flag flown so the marshals could adjust the positioning of a tyre stack. It lasted for less than one minute but helped disrupt the flow of the session somewhat.

The session did quieten down somewhat after that, with the biggest issue of note being Rick Parfitt crawling back into the pits with a rear-left puncture – thankfully there was no bigger damage done to the car so it was a quick change and back out for Parfitt.

With FP2 crawling towards the final ten minutes, Mike Robinson made his move in the #50 and flew up to first in GT4 with a 1:44.006 to add more evidence to the theory that the Ginettas are going to be the cars to watch come qualifying.

PMW World Expo Racing stormed to GT4 class success (Credit: Nick Smith/
PMW World Expo Racing stormed to GT4 class success (Credit: Nick Smith/

That seemed to spark GT3 into life as well as Phil Keen set a 1:35.212 to make an initial move to the top, but Jonny Adam lowered that into the 1:34s to snatch away the lead for a while in his TF Sport Aston Martin Vantage GT3. However, Keen was building up a head of steam and a 1:34.630 made sure of his first position as a red flag ended the session with a couple of minutes to go.

It was caused by the #66 Simpson Motorsport Ginetta, which was running in second with Nick Jones on board, hitting the barriers and having a minor fire in sector three.

With the session finished, Adam Carroll couldn’t improve on his third place in the second Barwell Lamborghini with Ross Gunn finishing fourth in the Beechdean AMR Vantage.

Ciaran Haggerty took the Black Bull Ecurie Ecosse McLaren 570S to third in GT4 with Nathan Freke having to settle for fourth in the #73 Century Motorsport Ginetta and Matthew George claimed fifth in the Generation AMR SuperRacing Aston Martin.