Orton Fights To Victory In Silverstone Epic

Jamie Orton emerged from a stunning five-car battle at the front to make it two Michelin Ginetta GT4 Supercup wins in two races at Silverstone.

Poleman Orton lost his advantage through Copse for the first time to Callum Pointon, and that was the catalyst for a thrilling fight at the front that raged for the duration of the race.

Halfway around the first lap and championship leader Tom Wrigley had climbed from fourth to second, but a loss of momentum at Luffield meant he ended the lap back in fifth.

Orton regained second ahead of Will Burns, while Carl Boardley held third briefly before Wrigley worked his way past on lap three, with his focus then turning to title rival Burns.

Those two would go on to run side-by-side multiple times over the next couple of laps, which allowed Boardley to go on and pull off an audacious move around the outside of both at Copse.

Next time around Wrigley was able to make a move on Burns stick at Copse for fourth, while ahead there was a change for the lead as Orton’s pressure on Pointon finally told.

A strong run out of Becketts was key for Orton who made his move stick around the outside at Brooklands, giving him a race lead he would go on to hold for the remainder of the race.

Pointon meanwhile became a cork in the bottle behind, with Boardley finally working his way past on lap fourteen with another slick move around the outside at Copse.

As he immediately pulled clear, Wrigley was next to challenge Pointon, though some attempted moves at Copse were unsuccessful and allowed Burns back onto their tail.

The Douglas Motorsport ace picked his move expertly, cutting back at the exit of Copse on lap sixteen and overtaking both his battling rivals ahead to grab third.

Ahead, Boardley was setting the fastest lap of the race as he closed on Orton, but the leader would go on to take the chequered flag for a sixth win in the last seven races he’s entered.

Burns completed the podium, while a late move from Wrigley earnt him fourth at the expense of Pointon, who was left to settle for fifth after one of his strongest drives of the season so far.

Completing the top six was Pointon’s Total Control Racing team-mate Mark Davies, who superbly scythed his way through the field after starting back in eighteenth.

Rob Gaffney and Tom Hibbert were next up, a busy race for the latter seeing him survive a grassy moment off the start and a track limits time penalty to climb up from seventeenth.

Jack Mitchell and Ben Green also made ground forwards, moving up from a pitlane start and sixteenth on the grid respectively to round out the top ten.

Green was set for a higher finish before contact whilst battling with Ollie Chadwick lost him time and forced the latter into retirement, where he joined Colin White who suffered early mechanical woes.

White’s demise opened the door for Fraser Robertson to take a first AM class victory of the season ahead of Chris Ingram and Grahame Tilley.

Full race results can be found here.