Ben and Tom Birchall took their 5th TT win in the Sure Formula 2 Sidecar race, and managed to smash their own lap record in the process.
The Birchalls stamped their authority on the race early on, opening up a 3.4 second gap through Glen Helen on John Holden and Lee Cain, with Dave Molyneux and Dan Sayle a further second behind. The brothers only extended their lead as the lap went on, ending the first lap with a 12 second lead on Holden/Cain and setting a speed of 115.965mph.
The Birchalls only continued to increase their gap, and came under no pressure from any other outfit. By the end of the second lap they had managed to break their own outright lap record, which now stands at 117.119mph – the first ever 117mph+ lap round the circuit in a sidecar.
On lap three rain began to drizzle over the Mountain, but that didn’t phase the Mansfield pair as they continued to extend their lead. One lap later they crossed the line to take their 5th TT victory with a 25.6 second lead over Holden/Cain. Seasoned racers Molyneux and Sayle held onto third place, despite coming under pressure from Alan Founds and Jake Lowther, largely due to Sayle suffering damage to his ribs during the race.
Sure Forumla 2 Sidercar results (top 10):
- Ben Birchall/Tom Birchall – IEG Racing (LCR)
- John Holden/Lee Cain – Silicone Engineering/Barnes Racing (Honda)
- Dave Molyneux/Dan Sayle – DMR/A&J Racing (Yamaha)
- Alan Founds/Jake Lowther – Brian Gray Powerbiking (Yamaha)
- Tim Reeves/Mark Wilkes – Klaffi Racing (Honda)
- Peter Founds/Jevan Walmsley – Trustland Group (Suzuki)
- Conrad Harrison/Andrew Winkle – Printin Roller Service (Honda)
- Tony Baker/Fiona Baker-Holden – Silicone Engineering and Carl Cox Motorsport (Suzuki)
- Karl Bennett/Maxime Vasseur – Bennett Racing (Suzuki)
- Wayne Lockey/Mark Sayers – Real Racing (Ireson Honda)