Michael Rutter took his first TT victory since 2013 in the Bennetts Lightweight TT race, also taking Italian manufacturer Paton to their first ever win around the Mountain course. Rutter also smashed the lap record of Ivan Lintin, which now stands at 118.645mph (1:16.19.324).
Rutter lead the race effortlessly from start to finish, with Martin Jessopp 8.8 seconds behind and Peter Hickman in 3rd, taking his 4th podium of the 2017 TT,
All eyes turn to Ivan Lintin during the Lightweight race, but a helmet change during the pit stop hindered him. He wasn’t the only one losing time, as front runner Rutter lost valuable seconds. On lap 3 through Glen Helen, his lead on Jessopp was down to 2.8 seconds, with Hickman overtaking Lintin for 3rd.
But Rutter was up for a fight and immediately responded, and almost doubled his lead on the high speed run into Ballaugh. Hickman was sitting comfortably in 3rd with a 21 second lead over Lintin, and more bad luck came for Gary Johnson as he suffered his second retirement of the day.
Ultimately, Rutter took a spectacular win from Jessop and Hickman, with Lintin, Dan Cooper and Josh Brookes rounding out the top 6.
Bennetts Lightweight TT results (top 10):
- Michael Rutter – Paton SC-Project Reparto Corse
- Martin Jessopp – Riders Motorcycles (Kawasaki)
- Peter Hickman – KMR Kawasaki/IEG Racing
- Ivan Lintin – Dafabet Devitt RC Express Racing (Kawasaki)
- Daniel Cooper – KW Electrical Services by DCM (Kawasaki)
- Josh Brookes – Kawasaki
- Michael Dunlop – McAdoo Racing (Kawasaki)
- James Cowton – McAdoo Racing (Kawasaki)
- Michael Sweeney – Kiely Heating (Kawasaki)
- Jamie Hodson – JGH Racing (Kawasaki)