IDEC Sport win drama-filled​ ELMS Silverstone 4 hours

by Mike Widdowson

The 4 hours of Silverstone for the ELMS was set for a 14:30 green flag. As the minutes ticked down the clouds came over to haunt the start of the race. Shower could be seen approaching the circuit as the green flag was waved.

Ending lap 1 would see the rain starting to sprinkle across the circuit. It would come and go for 30 minutes causing chaos for the drivers not knowing what tyres to be on and many toughing out the conditions and sticking with slicks on an ever dampening circuit.

Credit: Mike Widdowson/ MJW Media

Luffield seemed to be the corner catching most out, with a spin firstly for the JMW Ferrari leaving them beached in the gravel just on the exit. Next up was the #32 United Autosports Ligier who would just understeer clean off the circuit as the circuit surface started to lose grip.

United Autosports were on the wrong end of luck as the time topping #22 United Autosports Oreca would have a lazy spin on the wet circuit coming into Luffield and

An accident filled second half of the race. Mike Guasch onboard the United Autosports Ligier JSP3 was tagged into a spin entering Becketts by the Panis-Barthez Ligier. Guasch half spun across the grass to the outside of the circuit before hammering into the wall and bringing the car to a stop. The safety car was called immediately at the 2-hour and 15-minute mark of the race.

Safety car would remain circulating for just over 20 minutes of the race whilst the damaged Ligier was removed from the circuit and Guasch transferred to the medical centre for a routine check over due to the nature of the accident.

The green flag was waved once again with 1 hour and 21 minutes remaining on the clock. Entering into Brooklands corner the Cool Racing Oreca tried to slip up the inside of an LMP3 car but was tapped into a spin leaving Alex Coigny to sit in the centre of the track coming through the left-hander only to be collected by another LMP that couldn’t avoid him, both cars would be written out of the race.

1 hour and 3 minutes remaining and we have the green flag waved once again. Graff Racing led the way with Jonathan Hirschi leading the way followed by Henrik Hedman onboard the Dragonspeed Oreca.

EuroInternational’s #11 Ligier was leading the way in LMP3 whilst Kessel Racings’s #83 was topping the GTE class.

Credit: Mike Widdowson/MJW Media

A fairly calm final hour of the race would saw a clear run to the end. G-Drive would lead majority of the final hour but with a late pit stop on the cards they couldn’t quite make the gap to hold the lead. Memo Rojas onboard the #28 IDEC sport’s Oreca would take the lead and hold until the end. Jean Eric Vergne onboard the #26 G-Drive Aurus would come home second just 9.9 seconds behind Rojas. Graff finished in third place a further 8 seconds back.

#11 Eurointernational came home to take the win in LMP3 ahead of Inter Europol Competition in second. the #88 Proton Competition Porsche would take the win in the GTE class ahead of the #83 Kessel Racing Ferrari, the sister #60 Kessel Racing Ferrari would round out the podium in the GTE class.

Related articles

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More