F1 driver Robert Kubica has suffered multiple fractures to his right leg, arm and hand it has been confirmed after crashing while competing in a rally in Italy.
Renault, with whom the Pole was starting his second F1 season, confirmed the injuries through their official Twitter account. It is believed that a metal armco barrier penetrated the front of the S2000 Skoda Fabia Kubica was driving on the Ronde di Andorra Rally.
At the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure Kubica is currently undergoing surgery on his broken hand – a specialist hand surgeon and the Renault team doctor are among those treating him – which is expected to continue until 8pm CET (7pm UK). An amputation rumoured earlier has been avoided, but a statement from Italy says it is too early to establish whether any movement in the hand will be lost. Internal bleeding, also reported earlier has been stopped.
Kubica’s manager Daniele Morelli, speaking from the hospital said “The surgeons are trying to restore the functionality of his right hand.”
Kubica was amongst the fastest in last week's F1 test in Valencia in his first outing with the new R31 design. He was due to lead the team in the F1 season, which starts on March 13 at Bahrain. The accident will mean that Renault will have to place a reserve driver in the team, Bruno Senna reported to be the first man in line for the position.
Fellow Pole Jakub Gerber, who was co-driver in the car escaped without injury.