Bianchi out of induced coma, moved to French hospital

by Paul Hensby

The latest statement from the family of Jules Bianchi has revealed that the Frenchman is out of the induced coma and has been moved from a Japanese hospital to a French hospital aeromedically, although his condition remains described as ‘critical’.

Seven weeks on from his horrific crash during the wet Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka where he suffered severe head injuries, Bianchi remains unconscious but is breathing unaided, and was transferred from the Mie Prefectural General Medical Center in Yokkaichi to Le Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice.

“Almost seven weeks after Jules’ accident at Suzuka Circuit, and following a challenging period of neurological intensive care, we are able to announce that Jules has made an important step,” said the statement from Jules’ parents Philippe and Christine.

“Jules is no longer in the artificial coma in which he was placed shortly after the accident, however he is still unconscious. He is breathing unaided and his vital signs are stable, but his condition is still classified as ‘critical’. His treatment now enters a new phase concerned with the improvement of his brain function.

“Jules’ neurological condition remains stable. Although the situation continues to be serious, and may remain so, it was decided that Jules was sufficiently stable to be repatriated to his native France.

“We are relieved, therefore, to confirm that Jules was transferred aeromedically last night from the Mie Prefectural General Medical Center in Yokkaichi, Japan, to Le Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice (CHU), where he arrived just a short time ago.

“Jules is now in the intensive care unit of Professors Raucoules and Ichai, where his care will also be monitored by Professor Paquis, Head of Neurosurgery Service.”

Bianchi’s arrival back in France means that more of his family and friends can surround the stricken driver as he begins the next stage of his recovery. The statement also thanked everyone who had assisted in Jules’ treatment in Japan.

“We are thankful that the next phase of Jules’ treatment can continue close to home, where he can be surrounded and supported by his wider family and friends,” continued the statement.

“We have nothing but praise for the outstanding care provided by the Mie Prefectural General Medical Center since the accident. We owe the medical staff there an enormous debt of gratitude for everything they have done for Jules, and also for our family, during what is a very difficult time for us.

“In particular, we would like to extend our thanks to Doctors Kamei and Yamamichi, and also to Mr Ogura, all part of the team of personnel caring for Jules in Japan.”

Related articles

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More