The first 40 minutes of the hour was spent again under safety car, as the barrier needed to be fixed at Indianapolis. A large crash for the #8 Audi saw it smash into barrier after taking avoiding action.
A slow zone had been implemented with the GTE cars slowing as a result. The Audi was unaware of this and was forced to go onto the grass. Unfortunately Loic Duval was unable to control his car and the field was forced to swerve to miss the debris.
The safety car ensured that despite the large damage, the #8 Audi only lost one lap and ran in eighth after Lucas di Grassi took over. During the safety car the #88 Abu Dhabi-Proton caught fire and was forced to stop on track at the hands of Christian Ried in the GTE-Am category, making him the second Porsche to catch fire this race.
In LMP1 Porsche are back into a lead but the gap has been reduced after the safety car. The #17 driven by Brendon Hartley, Mark Webber and Timo Bernhard currently lead from the #9 Audi by only 15 seconds and #7 Audi almost a minute behind after the #18 Porsche pitted.
In LMP2 the #47 KCMG leads by a 30 seconds over the other competitors. Showing its dominace and how it benefited from the early sprint. Behind them, second to fourth fight for positions, but many were held up by the GTE-Pro battle that they had to make their way past.
In GTE-Pro the #64 Corvette leads in close fight after the safety car with the #97 Aston Martin and the #99 Aston Martin and battling for the lead split by only a few seconds thanks to the safety car, they’ve been caught by the #71 AF Corse who started at the back.
While in GTE-Am the #98 Aston Martin driven by Paul Dalla Lana leads from the #72 SMP Racing and the #53 Riley Motorsport.
Top 3 positions after Hour 1 of the 83rd 24 Hours of Le Mans
- #17 Porsche 919 Hybrid – Webber/Hartley/Bernhard
- #8 Audi R18 e-tron Quattro – Duval/di Grassi/Jarvis
- #7 Audi R18 e-tron Quattro – Treluyer/Lotterer/Fassler
- #47 KCMG Oreca 05 – Nissan – Howson/Lapierre/Bradley
- #34 Oak Racing – Ligier – Cumming/Vanthoor/Estre
- #46 Thirlet by TDS Racing Oreca 05 -Nissan – Thiriet/Badey/Gommendy
LM GTE Pro
- #64 Corvette Racing – Milner/Gavin/Taylor
- #97 Aston Martin Vantage V8 – Turner/Mucke/Bell
- #99 Aston Martin Vantage V8 – Rees/Stanaway/MacDowall
LM GTE Am
- #98 Aston Martin Vantage V8 – Lamy/Lauda/Dalla Lana
- #72 SMP Racing Ferrari 458 Italia – Shaitar/Bertolini/Basov
- #53 Riley Motorsports-TI Auto – Keating/Miller/Bleekemolen
Follow the Action Live With the TCF Blog Here.