Formula 1

Hakkinen – “Fernando Alonso should not take a F1 career break”

1 Mins read

Two-time world champion, Mika Hakkinen believes it will be a bad move for McLaren-Honda driver, Fernando Alonso to take a year out of Formula 1.

McLaren CEO, Ron Dennis raised the possibility of Alonso taking a career break in 2016 at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last month. Alonso has since said that he will be on the 2016 grid with McLaren at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

Hakkinen believes it would be “very difficult” for Alonso to take a temporary break from F1. Based on his experience when he decided to take a year break in 2001 but never returned to the sport.

“I personally had the possibility to come back after my sabbatical year but then I recognised that’s it, I’m done, I’m happy,” said Hakkinen. “I finished my career winning races and that’s a good way to finish your career.

“In Fernando’s case, I don’t think it’s a very good move. You have to keep fighting. Once you start the game, you have to keep fighting. I think it will be very difficult to go and take a year out.”

Related posts
Formula 1

Renault Looking to Convert Strong Qualifying into Big Points Finishes in Bahrain

2 Mins read
Daniel Ricciardo out-qualified team-mate Esteban Ocon by just 0.002 seconds in Qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Formula 1

Haas Drivers Downbeat after Another Double Q1 Elimination in Bahrain Qualifying

2 Mins read
Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean will start eighteenth and nineteenth respectively on Sunday after another poor showing by Haas in Qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Formula 1

Sainz Left Disappointed after Braking Issue Costs Him Q3 Chance in Bahrain Qualifying

2 Mins read
A braking issue cost Carlos Sainz Jr. dearly during Qualifying for the Bahrain Grand Prix, with the Spaniard set to start fifteenth as a result.

Leave a Reply