Speculation surrounding the future of the Canadian Grand Prix has ended, after the organisers announced that an agreement had been reached with Formula 1 Management.
Since the FIA released the provisional calendar for the 2017 Formula 1 season, the date of the Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve has been in doubt. With a June 11 date marked as ‘subject to confirmation’ on the provisional schedule. The issue surrounding the unconfirmed date has been related to a track revamp that had been promised for next year, with confirmation that it would not be delivered on time.
The matter regarding the future has finally appeared to have been sorted. After Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre tweeted on Tuesday confirming a deal had been made for the event to take place next year. Along with tickets going on sale this week for the Canadian Grand Prix.
He said, “Agreement in principle with FOWC and Octane [race promoters]. There will be a Grand Prix in Canada in 2017.”
Entente de principe avec FOWC et Octane. Il y aura Grand Prix du Canada en 2017. À suivre
— DenisCoderre (@DenisCoderre) November 22, 2016
Speaking to reporters, Coderre added that details of the arrangements would follow soon. As approval for the funding has to go to a public vote, this information is likely to mean the circuit revamp will be delayed until 2019.
Speaking to media in a press conference, Coderre said, “Formula 1, for me, is extremely important and it’s part of the essential major events that make up Montreal.”