Marcus Ericsson said finishing twelfth in the United States Grand Prix was not good enough and below expectations but following the disqualifications of Esteban Ocon and Kevin Magnussen on Sunday, the Swede was promoted into tenth to take home the final point on offer.
The Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team driver felt it was a ‘decent’ afternoon for him at the Circuit of the Americas, although he was unable to find a way ahead of Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda’s Brendon Hartley, who finished on the road ahead of him in eleventh before he too moved up two places thanks to the double disqualification ahead of them.
Ericsson now has seven points to his name in 2018 and has three races remaining in order to secure the best points haul of his Formula 1 career, with the nine points he scored back in 2015 in his first season with Sauber his best scoring season so far.
“It was a decent race for me,” said Ericsson, who moved above Lance Stroll in the Drivers’ Championship thanks to the point he scored on Sunday. “It was tough to start on the hardest compound, which made it more difficult to challenge my competitors. However, I was able to move up the field step by step, which was a good effort.
“Still, the target is to score points, so I am not fully satisfied with the original result, which was P12. Our performance this weekend was solid and I look forward to our next opportunity in Mexico City.”