The BWT Racing Point Formula One Team are confident that the protest from the Renault DP World F1 Team over the legality of their 2020 RP20 will be dismissed, with the protest both ‘misconceived and poorly informed’.
Following the conclusion of Sunday’s Styrian Grand Prix, Renault put in a protest to the stewards at the Red Bull Ring about the front and rear brake ducts of the RP20, particularly with how similar they are compared the 2019 championship-winning W10 of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team.
The stewards said the protest was ‘admissible’ and will make a decision based on the evidence found, but Racing Point say they have done everything above board and expect for it to be dismissed.
“BWT Racing Point F1 Team is extremely disappointed to see its results in the Styrian Grand Prix questioned by what it considers to be a misconceived and poorly informed protest,” said a statement from Racing Point to Motorsport.com.
“Any and all suggestion of wrongdoing is firmly rejected and the team will take all steps necessary to ensure the correct application of the regulations to the facts.
“Prior to the start of the season, the team cooperated with the FIA and satisfactorily addressed all questions regarding the origins of the designs of the RP20. The team is confident that the protest will be dismissed once it has presented its response.”
Should the protest from Renault be successful, Racing Point will be forced to change their design of the brake ducts, and they risk losing the points they’ve acquired so far this season. Sergio Pérez has scored two sixth places in the opening two races of the year, while Lance Stroll scored his first points with a seventh-place finish at the Red Bull Ring on Sunday.