Formula 1

Hülkenberg Continues with Racing Point for 70th Anniversary GP after Pérez is Ruled Out

2 Mins read
Credit: BWT Racing Point Formula One Team

Nico Hülkenberg will contest this weekend’s 70th Anniversary Grand Prix with the BWT Racing Point Formula One Team after Sergio Pérez was ruled out following a second positive coronavirus test.

Hülkenberg stepped in to replace the Mexican last weekend for the British Grand Prix and was on standby to take over the drive again should Pérez be prohibited from racing at Silverstone.   And following his latest test for the virus, Pérez was found to still have the coronavirus and now that he has been ruled out, the German will take up the seat alongside Lance Stroll.

The German will be hoping to get further in the Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend than he did last Sunday where he was unable to start due to a technical issue on his RP20.  However, with the experience of the car from last weekend to fall back on, he is confident of a much stronger weekend this time around.

“I’m excited to get going again with the team at Silverstone,” said Hülkenberg.  “Last weekend, it was a real step into the unknown having been away from the team for a few years – and driving a car I’d never driven before.

“I’ve learned a lot in the last week about the RP20, and I am ready to apply my experiences to this weekend. Racing at the same track again makes things a bit easier and the team has done a great job in helping me get up to speed. I think we can fight for points this weekend, which is definitely my goal.

“I also want to wish Checo all the best in his recovery.”

Hülkenberg was the ‘Obvious Choice’ to Replace Pérez – Szafnauer

Otmar Szafnauer, the Team Principal and CEO of Racing Point, says Hülkenberg’s performance last weekend proved it was the right decision to call upon his services when Pérez was ruled out.

He was delighted that the German was able to show good pace throughout free practice in a car he had never driven before, and now with the experience behind him, he foresees a stronger weekend forHülkenberg this time around.

He also joined Hülkenberg in sending Racing Point’s regular driver a get well soon message.

“Nico did a really strong job last weekend after receiving a last-minute call to drive for us at Silverstone, and he proved why he was an obvious choice to stand in for Checo,” said Szafnauer.  “It was a big shame he couldn’t actually take the start of the race last Sunday, but the all that hard work will prove very useful for this weekend.

“We miss having Checo with us, but we wish him well and look forward to welcoming him back into the team in the near future.”

Related posts
Formula 1

Miami Grand Prix to Join Formula 1 Calendar From 2022 Season

2 Mins read
The Miami Grand Prix will join the Formula 1 calendar as part of a ten-year deal starting in 2022.
Formula 1

Alfa Romeo’s Vasseur: “We were just not able to demonstrate the full potential of our car”

1 Mins read
Alfa Romeo were not able to show the full potential of their C41-Ferrari during Qualifying for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, according to Team Principal Frédéric Vasseur.
Formula 1

"The pace of the car was good, and the new parts that we tested are working well" - Dave Robson

2 Mins read
Dave Robson has been really impressed with both Williams drivers throughout the weekend at Imola, with both cars making it into Qualifying-2.

Leave a Reply