Alberto Cerqui has claimed pole position for the fourth round of the International Superstars Series at Donington Park. The Team BMW Italia youngster beat Swiss Team Maserati driver Andrea Bertolini by just under one tenth of a second to claim his second consecutive pole position after the one he scored in Portimao.
Johnny Herbert secured a solid third place on the grid for his home round of the series, qualifying as the best Mercedes runner for Romeo Ferraris. He was 0.141s off Cerqui’s pole time.
Luigi Ferrara qualified in fourth in his CAAL Racing Mercedes, six tenths off Cerqui. He was just half a tenth quicker than Alessandro Pier Guidi, who is making his Superstars debut behind the wheel of the second Maserati Quattroporte.
Christian Montanari continued his strong pace at Donington, qualifying sixth in his RGA Motorsport BMW. His best time was just three thousandths of a second quicker than that of reigning champion and points leader Thomas Biagi in his factory BMW.
Francesco Sini put his Ferlito Motors Jaguar XF eighth on the grid for its ‘home’ race, while Max Pigoli and Stefano Gabellini will both be disappointed to be on the fifth row in their Mercedes and BMW respectively.
1. Alberto Cerqui (BMW) 1:33.905
2. Andrea Bertolini (Maserati) +0.093
3. Johnny Herbert (Mercedes) +0.141
4. Luigi Ferrara (Mercedes) +0.628
5. Alessandro Pier Guidi (Maserati) +0.683
6. Christian Montanari (BMW) +1.206
7. Thomas Biagi (BMW) +1.209
8. Francesco Sini (Jaguar) +1.303
9. Max Pigoli (Mercedes) +1.422
10. Stefano Gabellini (BMW) +1.476