Nick Tandy won the 2011 Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland after finishing third in the season finale at Hockenheim. Fellow Briton Sean Edwards won the race.
Tandy started the race from pole position, but with a 12 point advantage over rival Edwards, winning the race was not the priority. Edwards and Rene Rast both moved past Tandy in the opening stages, and third place gave the Konrad Motorsport driver the title, even though he had to overcome an issue with his front left wheel at the end of the race.
“We've been working for this for the last two years and now we've done it,” said Tandy. “I couldn't be happier. This is the best time of my life. I'm so unbelievably thankful to all those in my team who contributed to this success.
“The race was obviously incredible. I didn't have to win to claim the title, but my car was so good by midway through the race that I could have done it. After all, that's what we are here for – to win races. Several laps before the end there was something wrong with my right front wheel. I don't know what it was, but my heart fell into my boots. I'm so relieved and happy that it was enough to bring home the trophy.”
Edwards said: “I'm very pleased with my second Carrera Cup win and the vice-championship. Of course I'm a little disappointed that I didn't win the title; my bad luck at the Nurburgring was the reason. But this weekend we showed that we have a winning car.
“I'm very happy with the result, and I'm particularly pleased that my Deutsche Post crew has won the team championship, they are over the moon. And congratulations to Nick – after all a Briton has won the title.”
Outgoing champion Nicolas Armindo finished fourth at the end of a highly disappointing season. Jeroen Bleekemolen was fifth ahead of Christian Engelhart.
Race result Hockenheim
1. Sean Edwards (GB), Team Deutsche Post by tolimit, 31:04.035 minutes (159.007 km/h)
2. RenÃ© Rast (D), FÃ¶rch Racing, + 1.426 seconds
3. Nick Tandy (GB), Konrad Motorsport, + 3.769
4. Nicolas Armindo (F), Hermes Attempto Racing, + 4.674
5. Jeroen Bleekemolen (NL), Team Deutsche Post by tolimit, + 5.094
6. Christian Engelhart (D), Konrad Motorsport, + 5.567
7. Nicki Thiim (DK), Hermes Attempto Racing, + 9.042
8. Martin Ragginger (A), Schnabl Engineering, + 9.241
9. Uwe Alzen (D), PZ Aschaffenburg Uwe Alzen Automotive, + 10.102
10. Jan Seyffarth (D), SMS Seyffarth Motorsport, + 10.618
Drivers' classification after 9 of 9 races
1. Nick Tandy (GB), 138 points
2. Sean Edwards (GB), 130
3. Jeroen Bleekemolen (NL), 96
4. Nicki Thiim (DK), 94
5. RenÃ© Rast (D), 93
6. Jaap van Lagen (NL), 86
7. Martin Ragginger (A), 75
Team classification after 9 of 9 races
1. Team Deutsche Post by tolimit, 209 points
2. Konrad Motorsport, 173
3. Hermes Attempto Racing, 135
4. FÃ¶rch Racing, 116