29 races down, just one remaining to decide the destiny of the 2016 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship. We look at some of the significant title permutations….
Leading the way heading into the final race of the day at Brands Hatch GP circuit is Sam Tordoff, a man looking to clinch his maiden BTCC title on just his fourth attempt in the series.
Two points adrift of the Leeds racer is reigning champion, Gordon Shedden, the Halfords Yuasa Racing man looking claim a third BTCC title and become the first to defend the crown since 2008.
Finally, two wins today have left Colin Turkington a mere 10 points adrift having started the weekend trailing by 37. It would be the third BTCC title also for the Northern Irishman, who would win in the event of a tie thanks to holding the most victories of 2016 with five.
Tordoff on the other hand has claimed two victories for West Surrey Racing this season, Shedden sitting one behind Turkington on four.
Tordoff starts the final race of the season third on the grid behind Mat Jackson and Aiden Moffat, Shedden closest to him in fifth while Turkington begins seventh after his Brands Hatch double.
If Tordoff or Shedden claim victory in the final race of the day, they will lift the Drivers’ Championship, so here’s a more detailed look at how the situation would play out….
Tordoff will win the title if:
- He wins the final race
- He finishes third with an extra point for fastest lap or leading a lap and Shedden finishes second
- He finishes sixth or lower and Shedden finishes one spot ahead of him and Turkington fails to win or finish in the top six
Shedden will win the title if:
- He wins the final race
- He finishes second, third or fourth and Tordoff fails to score any bonus points
- He finishes fifth or lower and Tordoff finishes two spots behind him – with no bonus points – and Turkington fails to win or finish fourth or higher
Turkington will win the title if:
- He wins the final race and Tordoff finishes fifth or lower and Shedden finishes fourth or lower
- He wins the final race without fastest lap and Tordoff finishes fifth and Shedden finishes fourth
- He finishes second – with no bonus points – and Tordoff finishes ninth or lower and Shedden finishes seventh or lower
- He finishes second – with one bonus point – and Tordoff finishes eighth or lower and Shedden finishes sixth or lower
- He finishes second – with two bonus points – and Tordoff finishes seventh or lower and Shedden finishes fifth or lower
- He finishes sixth or better and both Tordoff and Shedden fail to score