BMW have confirmed that Andretti will run their works outfit team for the 2018-19 season onwards.
The German car giant announced in April that they would be entering their own team into the Formula E championship from season five, when the championship allows teams to run just one car per race.
It looked as if that decision would lead to a split from the Andretti team, with the two competing against each other instead.
However having worked with Andretti since season two of the series, BMW took the decision to continue their relationship, meaning that the American outfit will run the all new BMW powertrain in their cars.
Despite hinting earlier in the year of a split, BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt said that that Andretti was their ideal partner for their Formula E entry.
“The series represents a completely new challenge for us – a challenge we are happy to take on together with Andretti Formula E,” said Marquardt. “Andretti is the ideal partner for this mission.
“The name needs no introduction in international motor racing. Our cooperation is already working very well, and we look forward to taking the next steps together.”
Andretti Autosport CEO Michael Andretti also said he was looking forward to the closer collaboration between the two, saying “We are excited to expand our partnership with BMW i and serve as BMW’s official Formula E works team beginning in Season 5.
“The ongoing collaboration between BMW and Andretti Formula E has provided a strong foundation for BMW’s entry as an official manufacturer. We look forward to running BMW’s first all-electric racing drivetrain and competing for the Formula E Championship.
“BMW is leading the automotive future with the BMW i line and their innovation in electric car technology. I couldn’t pick a more prestigious or historic manufacturer to work with in Formula E.”
The announcement also confirms that Audi and BMW will be going head-to-head in the series from season five onwards, after Audi confirmed that they too will enter a works outfit having taken over the Abt Schaeffler entry.
The prospect of the two battling against each other had already been welcomed by Abt driver Lucas di Grassi on social media, with the Brazilian saying ‘bring it on’.
— LUCAS DI GRASSI (@LucasdiGrassi) July 11, 2017